Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: The Modest Budget: Orange! (Catching a hot trend cheaply)

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Modest Budget: Orange! (Catching a hot trend cheaply)

Hello, everyone, hope ya'll had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend! We had nothing but sun on Friday and Saturday on our VA coast, but Sunday and Monday were full of steady, heavy rain. But we weren't that disappointed, because we still had a long weekend off work to keep working on making our new house a home! Progress is being made. Can't wait until the day when it is a restful space to come home to.
Orange seems to be the color to have this summer! Don't believe me? In J Crew alone, in less than 10 minutes, I found three different everyday pieces proclaiming this bright color!
(The bright orange cardi was my favorite!)
When this was pointed out to me (by my fashion-savvy mother) I immediately started looking for anything orange I could find.

Following a trend can get a bit pricey though, especially if you want to get it while it's hot. I would typically just wait a few seasons and pick it up later at a thrift store or off a clearance rack, but this was one that I just had to be a part of.

Introducing my $5 Wal-Mart find!
The fit of this simple T has quickly become on of my favorites. Adding to that an Old Navy button down that I've had since high school and my most comfortable pair of jeans makes this outfit one that is incredibly comfortable and kinda cute (and I'm all about that combo!).

This is a way more casual look to the J Crew pieces I had tried on, and the orange is not as brilliant, but I'm excited to try this with some white or light denim shorts, or even tuck it into a pencil skirt with a cardi and some pumps! The possibilities are endless... and easy on the budget.
 I've never owned a real pair of TOMS, so purchasing these BOBS on clearance for $25 at the Exchange seemed like a no-brainer. They're so cute! And following Mama's Thrift Trick (you pay a dollar for every day you think you'll wear it) I think I've already gotten my money's worth out of it.
_____________________________________________

The moral of my story, ladies, is don't so get caught up in name-brand trends that you miss out on some cheap treasures that might be found in unlikely places (like on a Wal-Mart grocery run!). Trends don't always have to take a wad of cash to accomplish, but it sometimes may take the effort of keeping your eyes open for alternatives, or hunting around on the internet or local thrift spots!

Have ya'll been getting into any orange lately? Or am I the only one who's a fan of this bright color?

 photo CC sig_zpsiat3p1eg.png
Linking up at: The Fashion CanvasTwo Peas in a BlogSandy A La ModeMyriad MusingsGaray TreasuresSydney Fashion HunterPumps & PushupsShopping My ClosetClassy Yet TrendyTucker Up50 is not oldJersey Girl Texan HeartThe Mummy Chronicles, Stylin In St LouisThe Red Closet DiaryEast Coast ChicDoused in PinkMix Match FashionHappiness at MidlifeThe Closet by ChristieTwo Thirty Five DesignsJolynn ShaneJeans and a TeacupForage FashionFashion Should Be FunRachel the HatPosh Classy MomLizzie in LaceSept. FarmFizz and FrostingStill Being MollyMama - and More!Elegantly FashionableSincerely Jenna MariePink Sole,  & A Lovely Little Wardrobe

6 comments :

  1. I love your mama's thrift trick. I am going to steal that. And totally agree with your philosophy. Glad to see the younger generation is carrying on the old ways of being thrifty! Love your blog!
    www.under50over20.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey
    I found your blog through The Peony Project. This was a fun read. I'm not that much into fashion but I may just have to go out and find me some orange. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute casual looks! Thanks for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday and have a fab weekend!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this casual look! And I love the loose fit of that tee. Sometimes Walmart really does have some treasures! And you're right, if it's not something you going to wear year after year, why splurge on it! I found an adorable orange cardigan on the clearance rack at Cato Fashions last year that I picked up for about $8. And a pair of orange wedge sandals from Payless that are about 10 years old! So I am set on the orange trend! Great thrifting tips!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your looks hun, I've got a super cute orange Crew jumper that I love, great colour for spring and summer, hold on I'd probs wear it in Autumn and winter too!. Love your blogging great to link-up. Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love orange as well and love all of your cute outfits!

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you soon!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete