Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Dealing with Frustrations...Why Deal With Them At All?

Monday, September 1, 2014

Dealing with Frustrations...Why Deal With Them At All?

I am entering my third week of the new school year, and I feel like every other topic I talk about is what I'm frustrated with.

I'm frustrated with my math homework.
I'm frustrated with my Friday class.
I'm frustrated with being a commuter.
I'm frustrated with trying to make friends.
I'm frustrated with eating healthy.
I'm frustrated with my health issues and injuries.
And everything else...

I realized this morning that I could literally find something to be frustrated about in every area of my life. Do you know how stressful and unhealthy that is? And, even further, how ridiculous? Here's why: there's a God.

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when the earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!" (Ps. 46:1-3).

David, the "man after God's own heart," dares the earth to fall apart and see how the men of God do not even flinch. That is how confident David was. Why?

"The LORD of Heaven's Armies is here among us; The God of Israel is our fortress."
(Ps 46:7)

Okay, that's pretty crazy. Heaven's Armies are ginormous and powerful and incredible. I would be content to just have one of it's warriors standing beside me. But, no! I have the Commander of this incredible army standing beside me always!

David had learned to listen to the Lord when He said, "Be still, and know that I am God," (Ps 46:10). And I think I need a lesson in that, too. Maybe then I'll stop running around like a hen with her head cut off, pulling her feathers out because she's "so frustrated with everything." And maybe, perhaps, I'll be able to listen to God when He says, "Casey, chill out. Be still; rest in the fact that I am God, I'm right beside you, and I know what I'm doing."

I challenge you to ask the Lord for the same lesson.
To stress out less, and rest + listen more.

No comments :

Post a Comment