Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: An Audacious Prayer Life

Saturday, August 23, 2014

An Audacious Prayer Life

  I've been considering lately how small my prayer life is. If I were to write down everything I pray for throughout the week and look at it at the end of the week, I think I would be amazed at how often I pray for the small things and how little I take up the promises of God that the largest of my prayers will be answered.

  There is nothing wrong about praying for small things. After all, 1 Peter 5:7 states, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you," (NLT). If my homework is a worry of mine, He
cares about it, and wants to carry it for me. He sees every detail and wants me to bring Him every little thing. Nothing is too small to escape His notice, and sometimes it's hardest to believe there isn't anything too small to pray for.
  However, there's another promise, that, "the prayer of the righteous person is powerful in what it can achieve," (James 5:16, CEB). How often do I take my eyes off of my little life to take a look around me? I'm praying to the God of the Universe who promises to move on behalf of my prayers.
    I want to be audacious with what I ask for. I want to ask on behalf of cities and countries and nations, and abused wives and orphaned babies and alcoholics. I don't want to stop praying for the little things, by any means. But I want there to be nothing beyond what I'm willing to pray for, because I know a really good and a really big God.

No comments :

Post a Comment