Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Where to Find Everything You Need

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Where to Find Everything You Need

In the three months that Jonah has been ex utero, I have experienced the greatest joy and awe for God's handiwork and creation. It is incredible that this tiny human was growing inside of me for nine short months! I fall more in love with his face every day, and crave his snuggly body in my arms while he is away from me. Every new milestone he conquers I want to both cry and beam with pride. I spend every moment with him trying to soak in everything about him - the smell of his head, the softness of his face, the weight of his tiny body on my chest while he sleeps... I love him. I love motherhood. I feel so blessed to be entrusted with this little person.

BUT...


I have also yet to receive an assignment that asks more from me than motherhood.
Along with the wonders have come almost 100 straight sleepless nights, feeding and sustaining him with my body, changing more than 1,435 diapers, and a total loss of my freedom to leave the house whenever I want. There have been days when I have looked at my messy house at the end of the day and thought, "how does any mother survive 18+ years of this?"
It is the most demanding and sacrificial lifestyle I have encountered in my 23 years.

I wouldn't trade a single moment with my sweet Jonah, but I know that I don't have it in me to be a mom.
That is, without Jesus.
I know that motherhood is a divine assignment. Further, one that isn't given to everyone. Children are gifts that should never be taken for granted.
I know this sweet boy is directly from the Lord. And because I know that, I can trust Him to give me everything I need to take care of him.
Everything I need.
The energy.
The patience.
The joy.
The diapers, even!

Does a wise king send his men to battle without the weapons they need to fight for victory?
Does a loving dad send his daughter to the store without the money she needs to do what he sent her to accomplish?
Does a contractor send his employees to a job site without the tools, supplies, or resources they need to work?
Does a country send out an ambassador or representative without making sure he is equipped with the proper language or attire to represent them well?

Any of these situations would seem ridiculous, or at the very least, foolish. The person who sends someone to accomplish a task is going to make sure that he is equipped.

In the same way, I can know that God is not going to send me into motherhood - and all the daily demands that come alongside - without giving me everything I need to "abound in every good work" that He is asking me to accomplish.

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times you may abound in every good work," 2 Corinthians 9:8
There are days that I feel more tired than I ever have been ever, and I want to sigh at the second blowout diaper or the t-shirt I am using when he spits because all the burp rags are somewhere in the mountains of unwashed or unfolded laundry, and I've dug as deep as I can within myself for what I need and I'm coming up empty...
But I'm made for this. I am equipped. I am entrusted for motherhood and all her tasks. Because whenever I need something I can run back to the One who has sent me on this mission, and He will always - always - willingly give me "all sufficiency in all things at all times," so that I may "abound in every good work," including every unseen good work that comes with being a mom.

What is your assignment? What do you need more of? In what  good work do you need "all sufficiency in all things at all times"? Don't let the doubts creep in that God is sitting back watching you try to handle this on your own. He's ready and willing to refill your love tank, refresh your sleepless mind, bring energy to your body, impart new patience, strengthen your weary heart.
My prayer is that you will have the faith to ask Him for what you need today... and that you will pray that I remember to do the same ;)

"Be assured, if you walk with Him and look to Him, and expect help from Him, He will never fail you."
 - George Muller

No comments :

Post a Comment