Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Courageous Love : By Sarah Heffington

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Courageous Love : By Sarah Heffington



“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”(C.S. Lewis)
Love

Most of us hate to be in a vulnerable position. It's hard, it's uncomfortable and it's utterly exposing. Who, in their right mind would choose to experience that? When I think of vulnerability I think of open-heart surgery. A situation where you're at the complete mercy of the surgeon; tender, cut open and sensitive to whatever slice or prick his hands should do. You don't like being there, but you know that it is crucial for your life, and that in the end, it will be for the best.

Recently I've come to crossroads with the reality of selfless love. The love that exists and goes on no matter what the cost to the love-er. The love that has no limit, that has no conditions, that is never in question. The courageous love that will go to the end of the world with no fear of heartbreak, rejection or being wrung out hard.

But I whole-heartedly agree with Mr. Lewis on this topic. To experience love in the purest sense possible, it cannot be selfish. It can't be feel-good and cozy at all times. After all, we love because He first loved us. And He first loved us by caring enough to come to this messed up world to die for each and every one of us sinners! Jesus is the truest example of selfless love. Being the wretches we were, He loved us so much that He faced death so that we wouldn't have to!
When I dwell on this awe-inspiring fact, I feel so small and shallow. I appreciate even more, the sacrifice He made for me, and I feel the blessing it is to be loved by God so much. And because of this love of His, I have the power to love others. To really give myself to another person and love them with Christ's love.
And yes, in this state, you are vulnerable. But you know what? Vulnerability isn't bad. It's a humble spot, yes. You are laying your heart out there for the Lord to use. And in this, there is great power.



2 Timothy 1:7

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
____________________

Hello you guys! My name is Sarah and  I'm 18 years old. I'm really excited to be Casey's guest today, and I wanted to share a little about myself. First of all, I am the 3rd in our beautiful family of 9 kids. I really enjoy singing, laughing , reading, playing piano, blogging, playing volleyball, photography, and hanging out with my friends. :) I love the life the Lord has given me, and try to live it to the fullest! God is so good and I seek to live in that every day. Hope you enjoy this post, and come on over and visit me at www.twos-company.blogspot.com!


No comments :

Post a Comment