Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: The Failure of a Starving Representative

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Failure of a Starving Representative

Physically, to be healthy, you have to:

1. Eat wholesome food,
2. Not eat poison,
3. Not starve.

2 & 3 are the antithesis of eating healthy things. 
(2 is just the quicker one.)
They're dangerous.
Poison will kill you.
Starving will kill you.

So here's what I've been thinking lately:

If I need to eat good things to stay physically healthy,
and avoid things that will kill me (poison and starving),
then does the same go for me spiritually?

If the same is true, then
spiritually,
to be healthy, I have to:

1. Eat wholesome food,
2. Not eat poison,
3. Not starve.

But that doesn't get me very far. My spirit doesn't eat.
Or does it?

What if my spirit is "eating" all the time?
This sounds totally weird, but follow me on this...

Spiritually "eating" wholesome food 
would be the same as filling my thoughts and spending my time  on the Lord.
It's meditating on His promises.
It's "chewing" on His goodness.
It's food.

Spiritually "eating" poison
would be the same as filling my thoughts and spending my time in sin.
It's meditating on sin.
It's exploring it - mentally and actually.
It's food.

Spiritually "not eating," (or starving)
would be the same as filling my thoughts and spending my time on things that mean absolutely nothing.
It's full of frivolity.
It's pointless.
It's not food.

I'm digging into what this looks like in my own life:
what 1 looks like compared to 2 & 3.

I will admit, I struggle more with starving myself than poisoning myself.
I have not been tangled in a big sin struggle since I battled depression and harmful thoughts 
(which I can now say I am victorious over, by grace). 
Since then, there have only been smaller battles, 
like my thought life, 
my focus, 
and the way I treat my family

However, how much time do I spend on absolutely nothing? on frivolity?
I've been especially convicted lately of where I'm turning to for fulfillment.
Where do I go in my spare time? Where do I go for food? 
More often than not,
I'm starving myself.

I'm starving myself with things that aren't "bad." They aren't "sin."
They're FaceBook. 
They're photo editing apps.
They're eating (actual food).
They're empty conversations and texting.
They're secular music stations.

This food doesn't bring life.
None of these are wrong. 
And I still enjoy them.
They have purpose, too.
But they cannot be my fulfillment.
I'll die.

Question: How can a Christian be a full representation of the glorious life of Christ when she is starving herself of the One she is living for?

She can't.

The End.


No comments :

Post a Comment