Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Getting Better at Moseying

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Getting Better at Moseying


Right now:
I am in a sweatshirt, leggings, a beanie, and pink cheetah socks Allie got me for Christmas, sitting cross-legged on my bed on top of my favorite blanket I got for my birthday last year.
My memory card was just downloaded onto my computer from going outside twenty minutes ago in my favorite skirt (not bothering to change out of my nice work shoes) with my new lens.
I just got home from work 2 hours ago; of which the first 10 minutes home were spent with me face-down on my bed in exhaustion. I am listening to my Spotify “chill” playlist while I eat gluten free pretzels and Nutella, and drink old coffee with almond milk and Truvia in it.

I have far more to do than I ever thought a freshman in college would have to do. My part-time job is demanding more hours, my classes ask for hours of investment, and I have begun part-time ministry with Young Life (something I hope to talk about eventually) and lots of Saturday assignments (yay).
However, as I was writing out a to-do list last night (for things to do on a SATURDAY) I got really sad. Because I realized that I didn’t have time for anything I loved

Like painting sparkles on my fingernails, and lighting sparklers to simply celebrate whatever day it is.

Don’t get me wrong, I love learning. I’m really excited about this ministry, and my job is the best job I could ask for. But I wasn’t allowing time for writing, or knitting, or blogging, or photography, or letter-/song-writing... things that I was able to spend time loving last year, but things that have been pushed aside. I wrote a poem yesterday, and actually felt guilty about it!
And I think adults who feel they have no purpose started out by doing the same thing I’m doing now: pushing out the things that they love, or activities they want to invest in, to do things that they “have” to do.

So I’m challenging myself. I obviously can’t take the time to write a song, knit an afghan and take 3,000 pictures every day. But I can take the time to do one thing that I love every day. Sometimes, I might even have time for two or three! 
Either way, this will also challenge me to manage my time better; a weakness that has always been very difficult for me to overcome.

I don’t want to reach the end of my life - or even my week! - and realize I never took the time to sit on my bed and eat gluten free pretzels and Nutella and bad coffee. When life is only spent doing chores, homework, ministry, and work, we sometimes lose our balance and become people who run through life, instead of moseying.
And I like moseying. I want to get better at it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've eaten Chick-fil-A five times this week. If that's not enjoying life, I don't know what is.

Have a great weekend, Beautiful People!

Love,
           Case

No comments :

Post a Comment