Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Guilt & Shame

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Guilt & Shame



(This video is a couple of years old, but it is still one of my favorites. The song is incredible, written and performed by some friends of mine, and the video is phenomenal.)

"Come with me and meet the One who makes the night like day.
Bow before Him and adore this King who bears our shame.
And everything will change."

It's kind of blowing my mind tonight that He has born my shame. That literally means that I don't have to feel shame for what I've done, or sins I've committed.
Yes, after doing something wrong, a healthy person feels a remorse that drives him/her back to the arms of the loving Father in repentance. But I don't have to suffer the guilt of being defined by those mistakes, or the shame of being found in my sin. Because ultimately, Christ has died for me. Along with the consequences of sin - i.e., eternity in hell - Christ also bore what held me to sin, or defined me in sin. Guilt and sin do not define me, because the death and resurrection of Christ gave me a new identity, and brought me into a new name, a new heritage, a new family. Also, the shame should not be there, because even though I have been "found" in that sin, I am not kept in it, or forced to sit there until I have learned my lesson. No, remorse and repentance lead me to a place where not one stain of that sin remains in my life or in my heart, and it is not looked upon or dwelt on by God.

I am freed from guilt and shame and false identity.

It is so important to remember that.

"Come with me and meet the One who makes the night like day.
Bow before Him and adore this King who bears our shame.
And everything will change." 


P.S. A lot of beautiful things have happened/are happening lately… things I can't wait to tell you about! BUT all in good time. And when it's not 2:30 a.m...

No comments :

Post a Comment