Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Buckeye Brownies : By Sarah Heffington

Monday, February 18, 2013

Buckeye Brownies : By Sarah Heffington

I think it can almost always be assumed that if you’re a girl, you love chocolate. Yeah, some love it more than others, some are tragically allergic to it, and there is that rare handful of females who have turned on the sisterhood and are uninterested.  ;)
I’m a lover. But I have to admit, I’m not a purist. I like also enjoy eating my chocolate paired with mint, fruit, nuts, and coffee. :) I’m usually not a huge fan for the peanut-butter/chocolate taste, but when I saw this recipe on The Brown-Eyed Baker’s site, I had to try it out for myself. It looked way too irresistible. :D
Actually, Casey and her mom were coming over for a tea date, so I decided to whip these out for a sweet treat. I’m so glad I did! These brownies had the perfect balance of peanut vs. chocolate taste, and they were fairly simple to make.
This is a very good recipe, because it doesn’t require any weird and hard to locate items. (It does call for unsweetened chocolate, but I just used the substitute on the back of our cocoa box) I also think I’ll be using this brownie base recipe from now on, because I really loved how the brownie itself turned out. :)
A few of my family members were on a “no sugar and wheat” diet, so when these babies appeared in the kitchen, I quickly was named “the temptress”. ;)
So without further ado, I’m going to be kind and share this recipe with you all!

BUCKEYE BROWNIES


yield: 24 to 32 brownies, depending on how large you cut them

prep time: 30 minutes

cook time: 35 minutes

total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
The ultimate brownie recipe for chocolate and peanut butter lovers!

INGREDIENTS:

For the Brownies:

⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1½ teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2½ cups granulated sugar
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt

For the Peanut Butter Filling:

¾ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup unsalted butter
Pinch salt
2¼ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Chocolate-Peanut Butter Glaze:

1½ cups milk chocolate chips
⅓ cup creamy peanut butter

DIRECTIONS:


1. Make the Brownies: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving about a one-inch overhang on all sides. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk cocoa, espresso powder, and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined.

3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.

4. Make the Peanut Butter Filling: Beat together the peanut butter, butter and salt on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the powdered sugar and the milk, mixing to combine after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, beat to combine, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until completely smooth and creamy. If it seems a little bit too dry to spread, add another splash or two of milk to get it the right consistency (this could vary based on humidity levels). Using an offset spatula, spread the peanut butter mixture in an even layer over the top of the brownies.

5. Make the Chocolate-Peanut Butter Glaze: Melt together the chocolate chips and peanut butter in the microwave on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely smooth and melted. Pour the mixture over the peanut butter layer and spread into an even layer with a spatula. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until set.

6. Using foil overhang, carefully lift brownies from pan. Cut into squares and serve. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
These fabulous little creations are going to disappear quickly, so you may even consider doubling the recipe (especially if you have a large family). Happy Baking!
-Sarah

Hello you guys! My name is Sarah and  I'm 18 years old. I'm really excited to be Casey's guest today, and I wanted to share a little about myself. First of all, I am the 3rd in our beautiful family of 9 kids. I really enjoy singing, laughing , reading, playing piano, blogging, playing volleyball, photography, and hanging out with my friends. :) I love the life the Lord has given me, and try to live it to the fullest! God is so good and I seek to live in that every day. Hope you enjoy this post, and come on over and visit me at www.twos-company.blogspot.com!

No comments :

Post a Comment