Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Valentine's Heart Wreath DIY : by Sara Atwood

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's Heart Wreath DIY : by Sara Atwood

Hello! It’s Sara from Our Adventures. First of all, I want to say a big thanks to Casey for inviting me to guest post on her lovely blog; it is an honor! Secondly, I want to introduce myself: Our Adventures is a simple blog about my husband and I’s daily life and the adventure it is. Daniel and I are newlyweds (05.11.12) and recently moved to Stafford, Virginia where we are currently stationed. Daniel is a United States Marine, and I am his biggest fan.  Also, I am a licensed nurse but am currently working as a nanny. I love food (esp. the delicious & healthy kind), a good book, road trips, making things with my hands, and anything with polka-dots.

Heart Wreath DIY

Since Valentine’s day is drawing near, I thought I would share a DIY for a pretty little decoration!
If you don’t have a special Someone this Valentine’s, I hope you can still see it as an opportunity to celebrate how unconditionally loved you are by our heavenly Father and to very intentionally love those around you. A beautiful post I recently read came from Ann Voskamp titled “How to be a better lover” here she writes,

“There are no standing lovers: the only way to love is to lay down.”
I am going to try and remember that these next two weeks.

Alright! So onto the wreath!

Supplies needed:
  • Felt, in colors of choice (needed for leaves & flowers)
  • Natural brown floral wire (I found mine at Michaels)
  • Green yarn
  • Glue gun
  • Wire cutters
  • Sissors
  • String, if you would like to hang it up afterwards (I used hemp)

1. Start by deciding on the size or your wreath, then cut a length of wire twice what you need.

2. Fold wire in half and twist two pieces together, making sure to leave a small loop at the folded end and leaving one of the two wires at the end about 1” longer than the other for connecting.
3. Connect the two ends, via the loop and the single wire intentionally left long to form a circle.
4. Shape your creation into the heart shape of your fancy. I found what looked best was to leave the connected part either at the top or bottom of the heart.
5. Cut out leaves from felt.
6. Flowers: Taking a small square of felt, begin on the outer edge and cut in a circular fashion making waves as you go; do this all the way to the center of the square. Starting with the middle most or outermost piece of felt, spiral the felt around and around, gluing as you need. Afterwards, glue a little center into the flower with a different colored felt. The flowers may take a little time to make and to figure out what you like. You can also cut out petals from the felt and glue them together with a centerpiece. Be creative and use what you love most!
8. Glue the leaves and flowers in place where you like them.
9. Use yarn and wrap around parts of wreath to look as though it is a vine.
10. Attach string in loop to back of wreath If you want to hang it. 
The End!

I hope you enjoy this little craft and that it makes your home or room lovely.

Sara







No comments :

Post a Comment