Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Style{in} Skirts: Explanation

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Style{in} Skirts: Explanation

   I will admit, fashion-type posts make me feel like the biggest dork in the world. However, I know what it's like to get discouraged about dressing modestly, and I know what it's like to get in a rut, and I know what it's like to feel so disgusted with your own self-image that you don't even feel like trying to look attractive. So, regardless of how many times I feel like a dork, I'm gonna muscle my way through the awkwardness and do it anyway. Here's why:

   1) Because modesty is important (this isn't my opinion; it's a fact) and femininity is becoming far too rare.

   2) Because I think there is an extreme lack of modest role models out there. Am I the perfect one? Nope. But by putting myself out there and doing this, it is also a huge motivation for me to be more creative and be modest, and hopefully help you gals do the same.

   3) Because there are girls who aren't comfortable enough with themselves to explore ways to have fun with what they're wearing as a form of expression. I want to be an example of how to become confident enough to not only like how they're created - uniquely and beautifully - but also to rock their own styles.

   4) Because it kills me when I see gals who probably had a great idea, but pulled it together all wrong. Learning how to dress in a way that is flattering to your unique body type, and in colors that are going to bring out the best in your complexion is a skill. Yes, a skill.

   5) Because wearing only skirts takes extra creativity in a generation where the only place you'll see less than ten women wearing jeans in one building is at the Homeschool Convention. I feel like it needs to be proven that you can wear only skirts without simply wearing the ill-fitting, ankle-length denim jumpers the world as stuck us with as our definition of "homeschool fashion." Yuck.

   6) Because I think it's fun to look at other ladies' blogs about these kinds of things. I like getting new ideas. I like seeing something new and challenging myself to try it. It's fun!

   I want this to be educational and inspirational; not because I have it all together, but because I'm learning too. So, I'm asking that you bear with me while I figure this out. It's gonna take me a little while to get into the groove of doing this (which probably won't be more often than once every week or two).
   And I'm asking that you help me out, too! By like, asking me questions, or sending me links to other blogs, or, I don't know... not teasing me, maybe? That'd be nice;)

   I really do just wanna have some fun with this. And meanwhile, these are a few of the blogs that are great at this, and who I will be soaking up some inspiration from:

   The Pleated Poppy - a stay-at-home mom who uses her "What I Wore Wednesday" posts to motivate her towards greater effort and creativity.

   A Beautiful Mess - two sisters who put together really creative pieces (and design their own, too).

   Sincerely, Kinsey - both a photographer and a DIY fashion blogger.

   Putting Me Together - a young adult who has a lot of cool things to say about color combos, finding new ways to wear things you already have,  how to wear a few of your favorite summer things into the fall season, and stuff like that.

   A Butcher, A Baker, A Candlestick Maker - In September, Rachel posted a modesty event called Autumn Allure, and she had a lot of great things on there. I recommend checkin' it out.

   Anyways, that's that. Hope ya'll had a fantastic Tuesday!


1 comment :

  1. I happen to like hearing what you have to say about fashion! I'd rather take advice on what to wear from you than...pretty much most of the stuff that's out there, haha. You should come ovah to my place and ransack my closet and show me how you come up with all those sweet skirt combos! Luv ya, girly! Stay sweet;)
    ~lito

    ReplyDelete