Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: The Kind that Creeps

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Kind that Creeps

Just a thought, here, but I feel like there are two dominant types of death:
1. the kind that comes out of nowhere, and
2. the kind that creeps in over a long period of time.

I have been incredibly blessed that the first type has been kept away almost completely from my little world of 18 years, but I do know the second type. We all do, on some level or another, I think.

This is scriptural, too: "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace," (Romans 8:6). The verse that precedes this verse says further that "those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires," (meaning, death is not only in the mind, but in the actions as well).

I cannot control the first form of death, but I can control the second. However, I think I have become a bit lax in that lately. Especially in light of the past few months and the developments within, I have not been vigilant in keeping thoughts of death at bay.

Bottom line: what I think overflows into my daily life.
Therefore, I should be careful about what I think.

I am not referring to suicidal thoughts. I am referring to the mind of sin that hones in on untruths and despair, which is death. A mind that is only focused on negative, degrading untruths is incapable of life on any level; practical, physical, mental, emotional, or relational.

I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of the lack of life in my little world, in my life, in me. And that means something needs to change.

But I'm learning a lot of things about myself. And I'm really grateful for my family and close friends who have to be the environment in which I learn about myself.

Untruths are hard to reverse until you identify them. So I've been identifying a few over the past few days. Some are silly. Some are serious. Some are unearthing some hidden hurts I've been carrying around a long time.

All this to say, I want a mind "controlled by the Spirit" that "is life and peace." Because if I can live a thought life that is full of life and peace, than it only follows that my physical life will also grow to be full of life and peace.

"... those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." Ro. 8:5

Give me a set mind, Lord. An unwavering mind's eye that is in constant contact with Yours.

1 comment :

  1. Hmmm good thoughts. It can be painful to unearth the roots of these thought processes sometimes, but it is a relief in a way because it allows you to come to terms with that issue and to move past it and into life. I've been having to do this lately too.

    Lots of encouragement to you on your journey! I know God has some special plans for you and wants to reform your loely heart through and through :)

    ReplyDelete