Cattails, Rabbit Trails, and Thistlefish: Two Halves Don't Make a Whole.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Two Halves Don't Make a Whole.

Mathematics don't quite add up in the arena of relationships. In fact, relationship defy many rules of relationship (for example: man + woman = man + woman + baby, or, 1+1= 3 ).
One such rule is this idea that an individual is incomplete without his or her "soul mate." That two half-peoples entering into a relationship become a whole person.

This concept is such an easy one to flow with - after all, it's kind of cute - but a concept I have never liked very much. I do not like the idea that have to remain "incomplete," or a "half-person" until my Mr. Right steals me away. 

And I do not mean this in a feministic way, either. I'm just saying that my completeness, my happiness, should not be dependent on a human.

This concept doesn't work out realistically, anyway. It's unsatisfying and destructive. Two half-persons entering into a relationship simply become two half-persons who are dependent on each other for their happiness. And dependency doesn't really fly well in the long run.

I do believe, however, that once a couple is married that something sensational does happen - one does feel less complete without the other. But I propose that this is not because they were two halves to begin with; rather, two 100 percents have become a 200%, and anything less than 200% is not how it should be.

There you go. Another rule relationships defy.

I have seen this in married people, but also seen small glimpses of this in my relationship with Josiah. It's kind of a crazy thing how the right person can make your strengths even stronger, while bringing the gentleness needed to diminish your weaknesses as well. I've received the encouragement I needed to revive my tired heart, and have been humbled, too, in the kindest of ways.

Girls, be complete. You have what you need to be who you are meant to be. You have opportunities. You have a personality that is unmatched, and a beauty that is irreplaceable. Be the best you can be, as silly as it sounds. Be you're 100%. Because one day, you'll find your other 100%, and you'll be glad you're not a 50%. 

6 comments :

  1. Dude, seriously! I freakin' love you. Totally on the same page with this. I've been really uncomfortable with the whole "soul mate" concept for awhile. Relationships can really put things in perspective for you. I don't ever want to be less than my 100%, and I sure as heck don't want to be a 50%. Cause if that's all I am, what am I giving to Jesus?
    Right, on sistah! ;D
    ~Lito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! All so true- thanks for sharing! -Kendal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Casey, I just want to thank you for writing things like this. The more I read your blog the more I see we share a lot of the same thoughts and principles. It's so great to see a girl out there who is around my age who thinks things like this and doesn't just soak in what the world says! It is refreshing and I encourage you too keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Lacey! It's really refreshing to know that I'm not the only one, as well :))

      Delete